Salina Downtown, Inc., a not-for-profit organization and partner to the City of Salina, manages the Lee District, a 31 block business improvement district in Salina’s city center. SDI is governed by a 13-member board elected by Lee District members. The board also serves, as appointed by the Mayor, as the Lee District Advisory Board.
The mission of Salina Downtown, Inc. is to champion a healthy, vibrant downtown community.
Salina downtown is the heart beat of the city. It is the regional center for financial, medical, commercial, cultural, and government activities. Our vision is to keep downtown a healthy, vibrant place to live, work and play. Learn more about why it’s good to be downtown!
Plan of Work
The SDI annual plan of work is driven by PUMA Plan, the annual Board Planning Retreat and Lee District member recommendations. The 2002 Market-based Downtown Plan, developed by Progressive Urban Management Associates (PUMA) of Denver, has been the guiding force behind Board policy, standing committee structure and function and daily staff work. Annually those goals are updated to reflect current market trends and identified needs within the district.
Success in in the Lee District
More than 300 successful downtown businesses have committed their livelihoods to Salina’s historic downtown Lee District. Here are a few reasons why :
- Pedestrian-friendly array of attractive streetscapes, plazas with fountains, walking alleys, shelters and benches, well-lit parking with low crime rate, and a strong sense of community.
- Proximity to many services and activities, including restaurants, specialty shops, museums and art centers, live theater, health and legal services, public library and post office, and several financial institutions.
- Pleasant working and shopping environment maintained by city personnel and volunteers.
- SDI Destination marketing of Lee District Businesses.
- A listing in the Lee District Business Directory.
- Development incentives to help you improve your building’s exterior, establish your business in the Lee District, or partner with other organizations to market an event or promotion. (Don’t forget about Project Open!)
- Check out any one of our amazing events, sponsored by the Lee District businesses, and yours truly, of course. Sign up to be an event sponsor right from our website!
- Looking for something? The Resources & Links menu will give you access to our monthly newsletter archives, meeting agendas & minutes, applications to reserve a plaza downtown, or partner with us by becoming a Lee District BUDDY!
- Learn more about why it’s good to be downtown!
- A solid location for business success.